Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Benefits of Yoga

For the past year or so I have been practicing yoga. As most athletes I was a little skeptical at first but was motivated due to my lack of flexibility. I was interested in yoga to help me loosen up my hips and shoulders primarily so it would feel better when I ran and threw. I couldn’t have predicted just how much I would enjoy and ultimately become addicted to yoga.

From the first yoga class I took I immediately felt better then I had ever felt in my life. My shoulders, hips, hamstrings, and low back all opened up more then I had ever experienced in my life. When I threw the ball I noticed that my shoulder felt very free and I could throw with far less effort and didn’t fatigue as quickly. My immediate thought was that I had just found the missing link in my training. It was like yoga bridged the gap between my training and my performance.

Like most athletes I like to train hard. I like to push myself with running, weights, or any other training method I can come up with. The downside has always been that training this hard left me feeling tight, bound up, and un-athletic. Yoga immediately increased my range of motion far greater then it had ever been. The strength gains I made with weights began to translate on the field better because I felt like I could move. I felt like I could move effortlessly and started to see greater control over my body. When I would run my hips were more open which allowed me greater range of motion when I ran. This allowed be to put more force into every stride effectively utilizing the strength gains I had made in the weight room.

When it came to hitting I noticed a jump in my power production because of the greater range of motion in my hips. I was able to generate more hip separation which leads to greater torque and greater force generated into the ball. Defensively I felt like I could make more acrobatic plays due to how open my entire body was. I was no longer limited by the range of motion in my joints and as such could make plays I once only dreamed of.

Aside from the physical aspects yoga helped me develop many of the mental skills I teach in my lessons. It taught me how to slow my breathing, stay in the moment, and clear my mind. The ability to clear one’s mind allows for mechanical repeatability which only benefits you on the field.

Overall Yoga has been an amazing experience. I feel like I can perform at higher and higher levels, I sleep better, and am able to handle day to day experiences much better. I would recommend yoga to everyone but especially for any athlete looking to take their game to high levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment